Thursday, February 12, 2009

Let's Get Real

Okay, so somehow I've given the impression that I know what I'm doing or that things are going spankingly awesome here in my house.

Uhh. No.

Sorry. 

In fact, I've been having a very bad week and thought, in the interest of keepin' it real, you ought to know.

Here are the problems I'm having in our transition to K12:
  • I don't have any control over what my kids do and it's driving me crazy.
  • I'm feeling resentful and maybe even a little angry about their choices.
  • Being out of control is making me feel depressed. :(
  • I feel like Love and Logic is a little passive-aggressive. I mean, why not just tell my boys what I want from them, or expect from them? The whole "Bummer. Well, feel free to join us for dinner when you're done your school work." feels so . . . contrived.
This is not to say that I am throwing in the towel. Just that it's hard. Darn hard. And, like I said, I'm feeling kind of depressed about it all. 

I am raising men here. I know that. And I don't want them to grow up to be men that need to be nagged by their mommies--oops, I mean, wives. So for that purpose, I will keep trying to make Love and Logic part of my life. But man, it's h-a-r-d.

So there you have it. The real deal. It ain't so pretty is it?